Printer-friendly version   
Original News Release




March 27, 2007

Ministry of Health

Ministry of Advanced Education





Government is increasing the number of B.C. - educated doctors through expansion of UBC’s medical school. Clinical academic campuses (CACs) are large health facilities that support clinical teaching of undergraduate medical students, postgraduate residents and faculty members.



Distributed Expansion of UBC’s Faculty of Medicine


Prior to government’s March 2002 announcement to expand the medical school:


The announcement by the Province in 2002 was the first major change in more than a decade:


Funding from government to support the distributed expansion:


As of March 2007, the clinical academic campuses are:

·         Northern Health campus - Prince George Regional Hospital;

·         Vancouver Island Health Authority campuses - Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria General Hospital;

·         Fraser Health Authority campus - Royal Columbian Hospital;

·         Provincial Health Services Authority campuses - BC Children’s Hospital, BC Cancer Agency, BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre;

·         Vancouver Coastal Health Authority campuses - Providence Health/St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver General Hospital and related facilities.


Throughout the province, there are another 85 affiliated educational facilities that have a sharply focussed teaching capacity for special electives and targeted programs.


MD Undergraduate Program Clerkships:

Undergraduate medical students are distributed from University Academic Campuses at UBC, UNBC and UVic to the CACs for year three mandatory purely clinical clerkships and for some year four clinical education experiences. During basic clerkships, third-year medical students perform histories, physical examinations, identification and work-up of patient problems. 





Marisa Adair

Communications Director

Ministry of Health

250 952-1887

250 920-8500 (cell)

Hilary Thomson

Senior Communications Coordinator

UBC Public Affairs

604 822-2644

604 209-3048 (cell)


For more information on government services or to subscribe to the Province’s news feeds using RSS, visit the Province’s website at